Felonies Attorney Decatur, IL
In Illinois, a felony conviction carries life-changing penalties. The minimum incarceration sentence for a felony is between one and three years in a state penitentiary. For a Class X felony, a convicted individual could face up to 30 years in state penitentiary, as well as other serious consequences. A conviction for a felony can also result in civil penalties, including the loss of a professional business license or the loss of employment.
A conviction can also result in:
- Firearms ban
- Travel restrictions
- Heavy fines
- Deportation for non-citizens
Whatever the circumstance, it is important to speak with a Decatur criminal defense lawyer to find out the possible defenses available for your specific situation. At Johnson Law Group, we have over 100 years of combined experience that can be used to effectively defend your case. We are skilled at handling both state felony and federal cases.
Types of Felony Crimes
There are many types of crimes that can result in a felony charge. Most crimes can be charged as felonies, depending on the specific circumstances of the event. Even petty theft, such as shoplifting, can result in a felony charge if the accused individual has a prior conviction for a violent offense.
Violent crimes that often result in felony charges include:
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Domestic violence
- Aggravated sex crimes
- Robbery and theft
- Murder and manslaughter
The following crimes can also be charged as felonies:
- White collar crimes, such as forgery and identity theft, are often charged as felonies
- Drug crimes involving a large amount of a controlled substance. Some of the most common drug crimes include: possession, manufacturing, distributing, and possessing with the intent to sell.
- Sex crimes including sexual abuse and sexual criminal assault
- Many violent crimes, such as arson, aggravated assault and aggravated battery
For more information on these charges or for legal assistance from a Decatur criminal defense attorney, contact Johnson Law Group!
Meet Our Team
Get to know the highly-qualified and experienced attorneys that will be on your case.Click Here
Our clients value us as much as we value them. Read what our clients have to say about us.Click Here
In the News
Our attorneys are frequently featured in the news throughout Central Illinois.Click Here