Peoria Criminal Defense Lawyer
Retain a Team of Former Prosecutors to Fight for You
When you come to Johnson Law Group for help fighting criminal charges, you can have confidence in our ability to effectively handle your case. Our track record of success is due in large part to the fact that our firm includes a team of former prosecutors and police officers who have inside knowledge of how law enforcement agencies handle cases like yours. We know where to look for mistakes in their case that can be exploited to your advantage.
With almost 10 decades of combined experience, our criminal defense attorneys in Peoria, IL are prepared to take on even the most challenging cases. Follow the links below to learn about some of the types of cases we handle most often, and then contact us for a free case evaluation during which you can tell us your story and learn about your legal options for defending against criminal charges.
Defense for the Following Criminal Charges
- Appeals - Even when a criminal defendant has been convicted on charges, it is still possible to fight for a better outcome. By filing an appeal, it may be possible to have the conviction overturned or to otherwise reduce the severity of the sentence. An appeal is not a new trial, but rather a request to have a higher court review the case to look for errors that may have prejudiced the outcome against you.
- Drug Crimes - The criminal penalties for possession, distribution, manufacture and trafficking of drugs are substantial, and an arrest for a drug crime can have a devastating impact on your life. Fortunately, it may be possible to beat the charges by arguing that your rights were violated during the course of the investigation or that you have been falsely accused.
- DUI - Don't let an arrest for drinking and driving ruin your future! A charge of driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI) is not merely a traffic offense; it is a crime. Penalties can include fines, community service, imprisonment and a suspension of your driver's license. You can fight a DUI case by challenging the validity of the evidence, and it is often possible to win!
- Gun Crimes - Whether you are facing aggravated charges based on the use of a firearm in the commission of a crime or have been arrested for violating one of Illinois' strict gun laws, you can come to us for help defending against the allegations. We understand Illinois' laws and your rights and we can work to have the charges reduced or dismissed.
- Homicide - The crime of killing another person is perhaps the most heinous charge with which you can be targeted, and a conviction for murder could result in a sentence of life in prison. In many cases, the defense's goal is to have the charge reduced to manslaughter, but even this is a serious crime with potentially life-changing penalties. We can fight for you.
- Juvenile Crimes - Has your child been arrested for a crime? Don't hesitate to take action to resolve the situation and to defend your child's future against the possibility of lost academic and professional opportunities. We can defend and advocate for your child to get your son or daughter out of the juvenile justice system and help your family get life back to normal.
- Pre-File Investigations - When you have learned that you are being investigated for a crime, it is in your best interest to retain a Peoria, IL criminal defense attorney who can represent you with the authorities and help you avoid making statements and actions that could serve to incriminate you. By taking defensive action now, you may be able to resolve the situation without an arrest.
- Sex Crimes - Sex crime allegations can often have a devastating effect on the life of the suspect, even if the case does not proceed to a conviction. Accusations of sex crimes tend to label a suspect as guilty before an investigation and trial has been completed. We want to hear your side of the story in a confidential consultation and we are ready to help you navigate this stressful situation toward a favorable outcome.
Legal Help From Our Peoria, IL Criminal Lawyers
From the moment you first come into contact with the police through to the completion of your case, it is nearly always in your best interests to "plead the Fifth" by exercising your constitutional right to remain silent. Investigators often try to compel a suspect to talk by saying that it is required or that remaining silent will imply guilt, but the fact is that you have a right to refuse to testify against yourself.
Furthermore, the fact that you choose to exercise this right cannot be used as evidence against you. The police are already good enough at searching for evidence and building their cases, and you shouldn't help them do their work by agreeing to discuss the situation.
Instead, hire a Peoria criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible to represent you with the authorities and fight to defend your future!
We Fight to Win, No Matter What Challenges Stand in Our Way
For the aggressive and skilled criminal defense lawyers in Peoria, IL, call our firm as soon as possible. Together, we can work towards a favorable case outcome, starting with a complimentary consultation regarding your particular case. We at Johnson Law Group can fight for you and your rights.
Cases We HandleExclusively Dedicated to Criminal Defense
- Drug Crimes
- Domestic Violence
- Driver's License Suspension
- DUI Penalties
- DUI FAQ
- DUI Accidents
- Challenging DUI Evidence
- Blood & Breath Tests
- Gun Crimes
- Multiple DUIs
- Field Sobriety Tests
- Driver's License Reinstatement
- Title IX Investigations
- White Collar Crime
See Our Track Record of Success
FFL Revocation Hearing Won FFL Revocation Hearing Won
Order of Protection Cases Defended Order of Protection Cases Defended
Felony Cases Successfully Defended Felony Cases Successfully Defended
Title IX Hearing Successfully Defended Title IX Hearing Successfully Defended
Probation People v. J.L
Mark D. Johnson Founding Partner
Brendan Bukalski Managing Partner
Kevin Sanborn Attorney
Douglas B. Johnson Attorney
Brent R. Wright Investigator
Ken D. Eckhauser Attorney
Eric M. Schwing Attorney
Kelly Bushue-Shapley Legal Assistant
Dawn Trent Legal Assistant
Holly McCann Legal Assistant
Bethany Fry Administrative Assistant
Kristina Feulner Legal Assistant