Theft Offenses Defense
Bloomington, IL Theft Crime Lawyer
Defending Against Theft Offenses in Illinois
A conviction for theft or a related property crime can lead to a very serious sentence, which may include fines and incarceration. There are other unexpected consequences, as well, including being branded as a thief and liar for life. You could also be forced to pay back restitution for the amount you allegedly stole, which can be difficult if you are unable to get a job because you now have a theft crime on your record.
At Johnson Law Group, our experienced Bloomington theft crime lawyers offer aggressive representation to people accused of theft crimes. We have spent our careers – over 100 years combined – honing our skills in order to help individuals who are either falsely accused or made a simple mistake out of their character. Whether you are under investigation for or have been charged with a theft crime, you can be confident that we will fight for you.
Contact Johnson Law Group today at (309) 565-8825, and receive advocacy that has been awarded by multiple organizations and is well respected in the legal community. Call our Bloomington, IL, theft crime attorneys now!
Theft Crimes We Handle
Our theft lawyers in Bloomington, IL, defend against all misdemeanor and felony theft charges, including:
- Shoplifting and retail theft
- Auto theft
- Armed robbery
- Aggravated robbery
No matter what you have been accused of, no matter how challenging you believe your case to be, we are prepared to get to work immediately to defend you.
What are the Penalties for Theft Crimes in Illinois?
Some common penalties for theft crimes in Illinois may include:
- Fines: Convictions for theft crimes may result in substantial fines, imposing a financial burden on the accused.
- Imprisonment: Depending on the severity of the particular offense, individuals found guilty of theft may face incarceration, ranging from months to several years.
- Restitution: Courts may order restitution, compelling the accused to compensate the victim for any losses incurred due to the theft.
- Probation: In some instances, the court may opt for probation as an alternative to imprisonment, subjecting individuals to strict supervision and compliance.
Defenses Against Theft Crime Charges
Some common defenses against theft crime charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: One effective defense strategy involves challenging the prosecution's ability to prove intent. If it can be demonstrated that the accused did not have the requisite intent to commit theft, the charges may be dismissed or reduced.
- Mistaken Identity: In some instances, individuals are wrongfully accused due to mistaken identity. We can thoroughly investigate such claims, scrutinizing witness statements and evidence to establish the true identity of the perpetrator.
- Consent: Proving that the accused had consented to take the allegedly stolen property can be a compelling defense. We can meticulously examine the circumstances of the alleged theft, identifying instances where the accused had rightful permission to possess the property in question.
- Duress or Coercion: If the accused engaged in theft under duress or coercion, we will vigorously argue this defense. Demonstrating that the individual committed the act out of fear for their safety or the safety of others can be pivotal in securing a favorable outcome.
- Entrapment: Entrapment occurs when law enforcement induces someone to exucte a crime they would not have otherwise committed. We can diligently investigate instances of entrapment, seeking to have charges dismissed if the evidence supports this defense.
- Insufficient Evidence: Challenging the prosecution's evidence is a fundamental aspect of our defense strategy. If the evidence against the accused is insufficient, unreliable, or tainted, we will vigorously advocate for the charges to be dropped.
Contact Our Theft Crime Attorney in Bloomington, IL Today
At our law firm, you will find Bloomington, IL, theft defense attorneys who are former prosecutors and police officers. We have seen the criminal justice system at work from many angles. The knowledge we have gained along the way is used to seek the best possible outcome. You can count on us to do everything possible to help see that the theft charges against you are dismissed or that you are found not guilty.
In one case, we represented a person charged with retail theft who had given a full confession. This person had also been videotaped taking items from store shelves and putting them into his pockets. Even against these tough odds, our attorneys were able to convince the prosecutor to dismiss the charges. This is just a sample of our track record of success.
FFL Revocation Hearing Won Gun Crimes
Order of Protection Cases Defended Assault & Battery
Felony Cases Successfully Defended Assault & Battery
Title IX Hearing Successfully Defended Title IX
Probation Drug Crimes
Meet Our TeamGet to know the highly-qualified and experienced attorneys that will be on your case.
TestimonialsOur clients value us as much as we value them. Read what our clients have to say about us.
In the NewsOur attorneys are frequently featured in the news throughout Central Illinois.