Title IX Investigations
Criminal Defense Attorneys Serving Peoria, IL
Charges of sexual misconduct on a college campus can result in severe, life-long repercussions. Illinois schools take sexual assault charges very seriously, so much so that even an accusation can put your student’s diploma at risk. Facing a Title IX investigation can be extremely stressful and can through a student’s entire education and future off-track.
In order to protect your college student and their hard-earned degree, reach out to our criminal defense attorneys at Johnson Law Group for help. Our firm is passionate about providing aggressive defense on behalf of the accused. If your child is facing a Title IX investigation for sexual assault or other misconduct at school, our firm may be able to help. We have the legal knowledge and skills to back our clients against big institutions and we know how to get results if your case goes to court.
Call us at (309) 731-4971 to schedule a free consultation with our Peoria lawyers.
Accused of Sexual Misconduct? Know Your Rights!
Illinois educational institutions take any form of sexual misconduct, whether completely unfounded or otherwise proven false, very seriously. Those accused can face harsh repercussions, including expulsion or suspension. However, every student attending a public school has a right to certain protections when faced with disciplinary action.
If you are a student facing suspension or expulsion for a disciplinary reason, you are entitled to the following:
- The right to receive notice of the charges laid against you.
- The right to have your case heard under regular procedures used for all similar cases.
- The right to hear a description of the university’s evidence against you.
- The right to present your side of the story to an impartial hearing officer.
Students facing accusations of sexual misconduct may also be entitled to other rights, including the right to have a lawyer present during the disciplinary hearing. In certain circumstances, students may also have the right to review written records related to the charges laid against him or her before the hearing takes place.
Crucial Steps to Defend Your Rights
When you or your child is faced with a disciplinary charge at school, it is important to take extra care to build a strong defense. Any student who suspects he or she may receive a complaint regarding sexual misconduct should immediately begin gathering pertinent data in their defense.
Students accused of sexual misconduct should take the following steps to defend themselves:
- Review the student handbook and university policies, disciplinary code, and any other rules applicable to the situation at hand.
- Copy and retain emails or text messages between the accuser and the accused.
- Copy and retain emails or text messages of friends or acquaintances who can attest to the relationship between the accuser and accused.
- Gather statements and contact information from witnesses.
- Keep copies of any correspondences between the accused and the university.
- Prepare for the disciplinary hearing.
Preparing for a Disciplinary Hearing
One of the most important things you can do when preparing for a disciplinary hearing with your university is to research the school’s rules. Each university may conduct a hearing differently, which makes understanding the policies of your university vital to your case’s success.
Students facing a Title IX investigation should be particularly aware of the following:
- The way in which a student will be notified of disciplinary charges.
- How long the accused will have to prepare a defense.
- How the accused may present his or her defense.
Seek Aggressive Legal Representation with Johnson Law Group
If you choose to work with our legal team, our attorneys can help you build a solid defense against a Title IX investigation. Our firm can gather statements, discuss legalities with your school, and can help prepare you for your upcoming disciplinary hearing. Some students may also face criminal charges for their alleged misconduct, in which case the help of an experienced lawyer is indispensable. If you are a student facing a Title IX investigation, or your child is a college student facing allegations of sexual misconduct, our firm wants to help.
Contact Johnson Law Group today to discuss your legal options with our attorneys. We serve clients accused at Bradley University, Midstate College, Methodist College, Illinois Central College, and Eureka College.
Meet Our Team
Get to know the highly-qualified and experienced attorneys that will be on your case.Click Here
Our clients value us as much as we value them. Read what our clients have to say about us.Click Here
In the News
Our attorneys are frequently featured in the news throughout Central Illinois.Click Here